Kettlethorpe, Lincolnshire

Click here to edit subtitle

Kettlethorpe Church

St. Peter and St. Paul, Kettlethorpe


FORTHCOMING SERVICES: (All start at 9:00am unless stated)

17th September 2017 - Group Communion at St. Mary's, Stow; Rev'd Nicola Penn-Allison

24th September 2017 - BCP Eucharist, Rev'd Joan Vickers




Sunday Link




EVENTS Details of all events can be found on the Calendar navigation bar.


  • Saturday 30th September 2017: Macmillan Coffee Morning in Church: 10am to 12noon; all proceeds to Macmillan Cancer Support;
  • Sunday 1st October 2017: Family Friendly Harvest Festival Service followed by Breakfast in Church at 9am. All are welcome.
  • Saturday 7th October 2017: Kettlethorpe Race Night in Kettlethorpe Village Hall: Starts at 7.00pm prompt. £6 per ticket (incl. Supper). Beer, wine and soft drinks available at reasonable prices.



BRIEF ARCHITECTURAL HISTORY OF THE CHURCH


The church of St. Peter and St. Paul is based on a medieval plan and the original main structure, which was wholly demolished before rebuilding in the 19th century, is thought to have contained 12th century elements. There is now hanging on the wall near the door to the Vestry a sketch of this Church dated 1793, produced by Claude Nattes, the artist who, under the instruction of Sir Joseph Banks, also portrayed a picture of Kettlethorpe Hall, which now hangs in Revesby Abbey. A close study of this sketch confirms that nothing of the original structure now remains. The Tower resembles the original but must have been rebuilt. The nave was pulled down completely, destroying the original structure which contained work of the early 12th century. The Chancel must also have been rebuilt, possibly with some of the original stones, but conforming in plan only. This is borne out by the fact that in 1809 a Faculty was granted for the complete reconstruction of the Church, presumably instituted by Lady Ingilby-Amcotts, who apparently bore the cost. 


The reconstruction consisted of:- 

a) The rebuilding of the Tower with limestone blocks from the original church. 

b) The reconstruction of the Nave in white brick and with a slate roof in the traditional style. 

c) The rebuilding of the Chancel, stuccoed, and with round headed wooden windows to match the Nave. 


In form therefore the Church dates from 1809. It is recorded that certain alterations, additions and improvements took place:- 

1864 – when the North Aisle was added in the same white brick, incorporating monuments and glass windows in memory of the Cole family. 

1874 – a new East window was added in the Decorated Style in memory of the Reverend Atkinson who had been Rector for some thirty years. 

1896 – under the guidance of Herbert Kirk, an architect of Sleaford, the following were incorporated:- 

a) Old round-headed windows replaced by tracery in Ancaster Stone, two lights each, in the Chancel and the Nave. 

b) Stucco removed from the Chancel walls. 

c) Seating reorganised. 


About this time the Font was replaced and a new Pulpit placed where it now stands. The carved oak Pulpit is believed to have been brought over from Brittany.


RECTORS OF KETTLETHORPE (Click to view)



*******************************************************************


MEN OF THE PARISH WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE TWO WORLD WARS


WORLD WAR ONE

THE CHURCH-YARD CROSS WAS RESTORED

IN GRATEFUL MEMORY OF THE UNDERMENTIONED


REV'D C.H.BELL MC                                         C.F.                                                             R. METHERINGHAM                                6TH LINCS.

MAJ. N.W. WELLS-COLE                                  R.F.A.                                                          W. NORMAN                                                      R.F.A.

SERGT. R.C.ADDISON                                     6TH LINCS.                                                 J.E.SENSICALL                                        LANCS. FUS.

L.CPL. F.C. GREENSMITH                               15TH HUSSARS                                          W. SENSICALL                                        R. WARWICKS.

W.ALLEN                                                           1ST LINCS.                                                  S.SNELL                                                  R.SCOTS

C.W.FLATTERS                                                 8TH LINCS.                                                 E.E.THOMPSON                                     1ST LINCS.

H. GREEN                                                          SHERWOOD FUS.                                      M.THOMPSON                                                R.N.D.          

W.GOOD                                                            LINCS T.R.                                                  F.WALLACE                                                     M.G.C.


"THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE"


Click here to edit text

WORLD WAR TWO

IN GRATEFUL MEMORY OF

THE MEN OF THIS PARISH

WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN

THE 1939-1945 WAR


JAMES ERNEST BAINBORROW    QUEENS OWN ROYAL DRAGOONS  

REGINALD BROWN                                                  ROYAL ENGINEERS

GEORGE ALFRED LEACH        THE ROYAL LINCOLNSHIRE REGIMENT

PERCY SUMNER                                                                   ROYAL NAVY

WILLIAM WEST                                                           ROYAL ENGINEERS


Acknowledgment:

We are grateful to Flight Lieutenant (Ret'd) Richard Wright, formerly of this Parish, for his research and permission to include the resuts of his work in this website.



*******************************************************************************************

CURRENT PROJECTS

Renovation of the Organ

The pipe organ situated on the South side of the Chancel was constructed in 1897 by Cousans of Lincoln.  The action is of the original pneumatic type and had become increasingly unreliable over the years.  The organ has recently been refurbished and updated at a cost of £34,000.


Bells

The three existing bells are in no condition to be rung, and this has been the case for several decades.  All the bell wheels have disintegrated, there are no ropes.  Furthermore there is little interest amongst bellringers for a peal of only three bells as every possible change can be rung in a mere 12 seconds.


 Following extensive consultations with English Heritage it is proposed to rehang the existing tenor bell above the bell frame, to be chimed by the clock.  The clock will be repositioned, and electrified, to give more space in the ringing chamber and save the onerous task of hand winding.  The existing second bell will be repaired by welding and form the tenor bell of a new peal of five bells in a new frame.  Funding applications are currently being pursued before work is begun.

KETTLETHORPE CHURCHYARD CROSS


Description of the Monument 


The monument includes the base, comprising three steps and a socket stone, the shaft and head of a Grade II Listed standing cross. The cross is located in the churchyard approximately 9 metres south of the Nave. The Cross is medieval in origin with modern additions, all of limestone. 


The base of the cross, which is largely medieval, includes three steps of square plan now supported by a shallow concrete plinth. Resting on the top step is the socket stone, a single block, square in section at the base, with moulded and chamfered corners rising to a top of octagonal section. Fixed into the socket stone are the remains of the medieval shaft, rectangular in section at the base and rising above the moulded and chamfered corners in tapering octagonal section to a height of 1.29m. Set onto the top of this fragment is a modern shaft with an integral cross head, which takes the form of a gabled cross with a carving of the Crucifixation on the west face. 


The Cross has been identified as being of national importance as defined in the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979.